Friday, September 15, 2017

Help me gift an AAAS student membership


AAAS - American Association for Advancement of Science

Help me help with a STEM/Human Experiment!

AAAS recently communicated to me that as a member, I have the opportunity to gift an undergraduate or graduate student a year's worth of membership for $25 as an investment in the future of STEM. People I know personally are either ineligible or members themselves. I think more students should engage with AAAS as early as possible. Certainly, I would have benefited!

So here is my offer:

This year, I would like to offer ONE student membership for $25, to one student, as long as they are eligible as defined by AAAS and are hopefully a student in one of the STEM areas.

In the future years, should they or another of the half a dozen or so Professional Membership Organizations offer such deals, I would, based on the level of interest, like to sponsor more students.

Anyone who wishes to express their opinion on this notion can leave a comment, or send me an email at yamanoor at gmail dot com. Your thoughts are appreciated!

The help I seek from you

Very simple. Are you a student who would put a year's worth of membership at AAAS if you are eligible (link provided at the bottom, please check). Essentially, you will need a "dot edu" email address. So, possibly high school students may be eligible(?), but I am not sure, and I am not sure if you are ready for an AAAS membership. If you think you can benefit from it, do contact me.

If you are not a student, do you know a student with a dot edu address that can benefit from an AAAS membership? If so, please send me the relevant information as required by the link below, or have them contact me.

I would like the student to confirm that they signed up after I make the necessary payment. This way I can close this request.

What I am promising

This is a simple membership. You don't have to tell me anything about why you/the student is deserving of it. I am going to follow an honor system here. I am also going to follow a first come first serve basis here. As soon as I make the offer and the student (hopefully) confirms they took up the offer, I will update this post. Or, alas, if no one expresses interest, I will update so by October 1, after the deadline has passed. I hope it doesn't come to that!

What I hope you do if you take up the membership

Please enjoy it as much as you can! If you feel up to it, drop me a line and tell me if and how much use you got out of it. It might help me plan for the future.

Subscribe and Support, Please!

Did you enjoy this post? Please subscribe for more updates, using the sidebar. Have ideas or blog posts you'd like to see here? Contact me at yamanoor at gmail dot com.

References:

1. The AAAS Offer: https://pubs.aaas.org/Promo/promo_setup_rd.asp?utm_medium=email&utm_source=Membership&utm_campaign=backtoschool&utm_content=giveagift_body3_&dmc=P7XLX7EM&et_rid=247418798&et_cid=1533584

2. Image, Courtesy, Pexels: https://www.pexels.com/photo/clinic-doctor-health-hospital-4154/

No comments: