Saturday, February 06, 2010

Blogging Hubris - a few recognitions, resources and notes from January...

Alright, blogging hubris might be a little strong, but I am always happy to hear from folks about this blog. A few things came to my attention last month, and since I have been running around with a throat infection, followed by migraine and other woes along with a conference, I was not able to write in.

Now there is time to post this for posterity before the mad rush of February beings.

HealthTechTopia - Chaaraka named twice in top 50 blogs

When I started this blog, I named it "Medical Devices, Biotechnology, Bioengineering and the like". The "and the like" part was a stretch just to make sure the "other" stuff didn't get written out. In any case, that has definitely helped me write about various things, including nanotechnology and Health IT, although, I do not write enough.

In any case, I was happy when James Atkinson from HealthTechTopia contacted me and let me know that we had made their top 50 list. I found the blog listed in two lists:

1. Top 50 Nanotechnology and Biomaterial Blogs:

http://mastersinhealthinformatics.com/2010/top-50-nanotech-biomaterial-blogs/

2. Top 50 Healthcare Informatics Blogs:

http://mastersinhealthinformatics.com/2009/top-50-health-informatics-blogs/

Chaaraka is listed as 36/50 and 50/50 respectively in both lists. While I am always happy to see the blog noticed, I wish I had done more to write in a diverse manner. Of course, I am going to make sure this happens in the future.

I never ventured into rounding up blogs and listing them properly, but will do so in the future. In the meanwhile, I would like to give a shout out to HealthTechTopia, which appears to be a step in the right direction.

A few shout-outs

A couple of UK websites on medical devices and pharmaceuticals

I was contacted by Jack Ingram who introduced me to two websites, which I believe will be a good set of news sources for both medical devices and pharmaceuticals:

http://www.medicaldevices-business-review.com/news/

http://www.pharmaceutical-business-review.com/

The sites look well designed, and I hope to see some good UK-focused news from these websites.

Medical Noise

Jason, a long term diabetic has his own medical device blog called "Medical Noise". We need more medical and health-related blogs than ever before. In that spirit, his blog is a good beginning.

You can visit it here:

http://medicalnoise.wordpress.com/

What's coming in February for Chaaraka?

Look out for some interesting posts including:

1. Hysterectomy and the risk of pelvic reconstructions

2. More fake reporting on medical device innovations and the health-care reform tax.

3. The FDA crackdown on bad advertising

and more...

No comments: